14 Days in Puerto Rico!
Eating Healthy, Getting Fit, and Exploring the Island!
Check it out here: http://www.skaijuice.com/#!wakeupandlive/c1osq
The Great Debate:
Juicing vs Blending
Juices vs Smoothies
Last Release the Grease we had, we told folks who had a blender that they couldnt participate. Because this is a REAL Juice Cleanse. So lots of people who wanted to join in on the healing had to bow out because they thought that they had something with their little Nutribullet or Vitamix. I think what gets me the most is that even though these are great tools, for some reason people keep calling the product of using these units – JUICES. They are not Juices. And I really want to know where that wrong information is coming from.
This time around we said, to hell with it….folks want to get healthy! So let them! So we have a whole nother group of people who are juicing or blending or doing both. Because at the end of the day, getting healthier is getting healthier. So let’s look at the differences between the two so we can understand better. If you are bored someday and want to stir up some trouble, walk up to a juicing friend and tell him that you bought a new blender so you can make juices, too. Then look out!
Peace and Love
Hey There…I know folks are waning…I have been here before.. its getting difficult. No, its not! Mind over matter…stay with me. STEADY>>>>>
We got into a nice conversation about choosing a juicer last night…so here are some thoughts about how to pick the right one:
This is EASY!
Love and More LOVE!
Skai the Juice Chef
Day 3! YAHOO!
Eating your vegetables takes on a whole new meaning when you begin juicing. The brilliant colors alone are fascinating to watch as they come through the spout of your juicer.
Here are some health benefits that have been attributed to vegetables you are probably familiar with. These all make for great juice ingredients—how many have you juiced lately?
Note: the following list is certainly not neither exhaustive, and it is not claiming to provide medical advice. The intent is to illustrate the wide spectrum of beneficial nutrients believed to be available in vegetables and vegetable juices.
* Arugula – considered one of the most anti-cancer foods
* Asparagus – a super food, good diuretic, helps regulate blood sugar levels, has folic acid
* Beets, also called beetroot – helps to cleanse the blood and support the liver
* Bell peppers – chromium, lots of phytochemicals with good antioxidant value
* Broccoli – high in vitamin C, vitamin K, beta-carotene, promotes health vision
* Cabbage – red cabbage and green cabbage – coats and helps protect colon and digestive system
* Carrots – high amounts of vitamin A, chromium, carotene prevents free-radical damage to the body
* Celery – helps cleanse uric acid from digestive system, very alkalizing
* Chard (aka Swiss chard or silver beet) – vitamin A, potassium, manganese
* Collard greens – calcium protect against colon diseases
* Cucumbers – natural diuretic, good source of silicon, which is good for skin and hair
* Parsnips – chromium, which regulates metabolism
* Parsley – with high levels of chlorophyll, fights parasites and cleanses the liver
* Radishes – known for opening up the sinuses
* Rutabagas (yellow turnips) – regular consumption helps increase stamina
* Spinach – vitamins A and K, folic acid
* Sweet peppers – vitamins A, B and C
* Sweet potatoes – vitamin A source, beta-carotene, help with arthritis and other types of inflammation
* Tomatoes – lycopene, which provides the red color, is a strong antioxidant
* Turnip greens – vitamin K, calcium, zinc which is associated with lower body fat levels
* Turnip – traditionally used as a remedy to strengthen lung tissue
All rich green vegetables contain some chlorophyll. (Do you remember that term from high school Biology??). This can help clean our elimination systems, which can then clean our blood and lymph systems.
Chlorophyll can have other positive effects on our bodies as it helps to improve our circulation, relieve inflammatory pain, destroy bacteria and purify our livers.
Because chlorophyll, via green juices, is such a powerful benefactor to our bodies, you should strive to get some green juicing in on a regular basis. Starting out with greens combined with other juices (fruits, milder vegetables) may make it more palatable for you if you are a beginning juicer.
The nice thing about juicing is that by combining fruits and vegetables that contain specific nutrients, you can target certain concerns, like belly fat, urinary tract infections, or high blood pressure. For Real!
HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: Check out this video by Loren Lockman of the Tanglewood Institute….I like the way he talks about what the optimal diet is and how the body actually heals itself. This is short…only about 8 mins. Let me know what you think the optimal diet is.
Peace and Love Yall!
Today is your big day…Today is when you make your real commitment. Today is the day to let go of it all! And jump all the way IN! Today is the day when you get all ready to JUICE or BLEND…get your mind right so you can get your body right! Also, and this is very huge…this is the day when you should let go of ALL COOKED FOODS…all chewing…all eating…and all oils too! So today, begins seven days of all in! Juicers UNITE! Smoothies are great too! This will help you transition easier too. Your detox wont be so harsh if you ease into your cleanse.
Speaking of detox, listen to THIS!
Wake up early on this morning so you can juice early in the AM! Personally, I prefer to make one large container of juice for the majority of the day. Its easier to make. So for your first morning Juice:
8 granny smith apples
4 stalks of celery
4 – 6 Kale leaves
¼ Lemon (unpeeled) >>>This is going to make your juice nice and strong…if it is too much, then take the peel off.
1” piece of ginger
This should fill up a tall jug…the next thing I do is add water to fill up the gallon. No more then 1/3 of the bottle.
Let me know how this works out for you!
Also, I will post all the emails that have gone out thus far on my blog so you can easily access for future perusal: www.paradisewellness.wordpress.com Its important to be ACTIVE!! Do you have your juicer, did you do your shopping for 3 days, are you ready? Feel free to email me with any questions, concerns or comments. Your success is mine! By the way, Im doing this program because I need it too!
Word is Life!
HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT: Reply to Skai: Are you ready? Really…talk to me!!!
|Skai’s 7 Day Juice [and Smoothie] Cleanse
Your goal should be to consume 96 oz of freshly pressed juice per day. (Check out the amazingly cool Smoothie chart at the bottom of this email…good stuff!)
First thing every morning, start with your oil pulling! Get your coconut oil and I will detail how to do it in another email…
Next, drink 1 litre of spring/filtered water with the juice
Breakfast – 24 oz of your daily Juice Blend
96 oz is an average amount of juice to drink every day. Some people may drink more, others may drink less. It all depends on your lifestyle, your weight, height, levels of activity, etc. 96 oz of freshly pressed juice will ensure that you can function normally, go to work, drive a car, exercise, and still cleanse, detoxify, lose weight and rejuvenate.
The main goal is to include 1 to 2 pounds of greens into your juices everyday (1 pound of green is equivalent to 1 head of lettuce, 1 bunch of kale, 1 box of baby spinach, etc.). Also important on the juice feast is to make sure to juice ½ – 1 whole head of celery every day as well (this will ensure you get adequate amount of natural sodium which the body needs). An alternative to celery is bok choy. The easiest way to get the greens and celery into your juices is to add them into all your juices. By adding just 2 leaves of kale and a stalk of celery to 2-4 cups of fruit juice, you will barely taste it!
How to make tasty juices:
The best way to make good juices is to know about ‘juice bases.’ The Juice base are certain ingredients that make up the base or bulk of a juice and then you add whatever else in as an extra ingredient for taste. Example of ingredients that make up a base or bulk of a juice would be: Carrots, Apples, Pears, Beets, Cucumber, Celery, and Tomato. And that would be 80-90% of the juice, and the remaining 10-20% would be greens or sprouts.
Carrots & Apple + Greens
* Fruit is an option to add to your Juice, most people prefer to add something sweet!
Adding water (Spring or Distilled) is totally acceptable…I do this all the time. One reason is to get more water in my system. And the next reason is to stretch my budget. And if you can get it, coconut water is the absolute best water to drink.
Who is ready? I AM!
Peas and Bugs!
PS. I will also post this and other pertinent info on my blog so you can peruse it at anytime. IF you havent joined the support network NOW is a good time to jump in! We have loads of BOOKS, Videos, also questions are being answered, and folks are posting pictures of what they are making…so JUMP IN! QUICK!
Send me your receipt from my book purchase I will automatically invite you in: http://amzn.to/13BDrQe
FOR MORE INFO…check the blog: www.paradisewellness.wordpress.com
1. The first thing you are going to need is money. Now although my support program is going to be all FREE…in order for you to actually do the juicing at home you are going to need to be able to purchase your own produce. I know you knew this…but you will be amazed at the questions I get. So Im just being super clear here. Folks have asked me where they can pick up their free juices ….OK! You are most likely going to need about $10 – $20 dollars a day. The difference depends on whether you purchase all organic or partial organic produce.
2. A decent juicer or a decent blender. It doesn’t have to be the super elite model of whatever brand for $400…but you need something that will separate the liquid from the fiber and pulp. If you don’t have one you can borrow one from a friend. I bet anything, that you have a friend somewhere over the rainbow that has a juicer they are not using …for at least 10 days. Get on the phone….make some calls. If you are in a purchasing mood…then here are my top 3 selections for juicers that you can still order and receive before the cleanse begins…you would need to order them today!!
They are all Breville models…my favorite juicer brand. This one is the smallest and most affordable. For only $100 you can get a simple juicer that actually works. I have personally used this one…and started here: http://amzn.to/13lWy3S
This one is the mid-grade one…it was featured on the movie “Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead”…Did you see that movie yet? HOMEWORK!!! You must see it! Let me know about that too! This one costs a bit more…but I have been using this one for over 2 years: http://amzn.to/13lX0yZ
And this one is the big dog…I have also recently purchased this…gave the mid-grade one to my daughter. I personally like this one because everything is stainless steel. Mucho importante, because I am rough and parts to wear and break. Of course, its a bit more pricey: http://amzn.to/11NLN8h
The King of the Road… THE VITAMIX, this is going to cost you about as much as a new real appliance. Well, it is! Nothing compares to it! : http://amzn.to/15RPdqO
Affordable Ninja Master: http://amzn.to/1aenjwZ
Only $15!! I have used this before and it works wonderful! : http://amzn.to/1cUxyYe
3. A jar of coconut oil. Yes, part of this cleanse is going to incorporate OIL PULLING. Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic healing system that cleans out the yuckies that have accumulated in your mouth over night while your body is doing its night work. You know that thing you have called morning breath. That is the scent of yucky that is going on in your system and the best thing to do is remove it completely out of your body. Yucky is my term for germs, toxins, bacteria, food…and any other thing that does not belong. Get the jar of coconut oil from a health food store or Costco and I will explain how to do this. Its very simple and only takes about 15 mins of your morning.
4. A good source for obtaining your produce. This is key. Best bet is you are going to possibly have at least two places. Keep it simple. Driving all over town to get produce to juice is not going to really be efficient. The place I recommend getting your produce from is number one…The Farmer’s Market in your area. Hopefully you have one. However the thing about farmer’s markets is that they are very seasonally based. I was just at the market in Baltimore the other day and they had plenty of green leafy veggies, but very little fruit. The only fruit they had was apples and berries. Which of course are amazing…but you really need more variety. So have another option for shopping.
5. Electricity for your juicer…this should be basic. So you cant go
camping on the Juice Cleanse. Unless you have a hand held juicer…and if you do I would really like to see a picture of that..since I live on an island where the power goes out frequently!
6. Your Why!…which is your motivation for you to complete 10 days on an all juice program….Super important.
7. Containers to store your juice…preferably glass jars. However you can use those eco-plastic containers too if you already have them.
8. Somewhere to store your juice during the day while you are out or at work. If you have a fridge at work….perfect. If not, you are going to need to walk with a cooler with a frozen pack in it.
I believe this list is complete. Can you think of anything else you would need?
Hey There! We are about to do another Juice Cleanse. We are gonna start on Aug 20 and go for just one week this time. Also, this time we are going to included not only pure juicing but pure blending too, because last time we did it…some folks couldn’t participate because they didn’t have a juicer but they did have a blender. Frankly, there is very little difference between the two. First of all, you are eating (drinking) the same thing…the only big difference is that with juicing you are removing the pulp out..and with blending you still have the fiber within which is pulverized to smithereens which is what we call with pre-digested.
Pre-digested? Basically that means that the blender did the chewing for you. As you know, digestion starts in the mouth. And we are supposed to chew our food till it’s like puree (or a smoothie) but who really does that. I for sure don’t. Now this is not to say that we should just be consuming only blended foods…we have teeth for a reason…but for the sake of our one week cleanse. We can let our teeth so what they like to do…SHINE!
So, I you are interested in participating in the juice cleanse coming up this Aug, please sign up here: http://eepurl.com/Bc9e9
This list will be sent out pretty much daily with recipes and tips while we are doing the cleanse. Also, if you are interested in joining our PRIVATE support network where folks are engaged in actively supporting one another then you must join by purchasing my book: http://amzn.to/13BDrQe
Once you get it email it to me: email@example.com with I GOT THE BOOK, SKAI! And I will send you your private link into the group! By the way, its hosted on FB!! Also, when the cleanse is over the entry into this group is going up to $29…WHY? Because this group is such an awesome forum, the people involved, the information shared, and the fact that I am creating amazing cooking classes (Vegan cooked and Raw) that will be featured for free in this group for you guys to be the first to review and learn.
So, we hope to see you there! And let us know if you are going to be a part of our cleanse. We would love to see you in the MOVEMENT! YAHOO!